Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

ALT isn't just a key before CNTL+DELETE

Before I make a note about anything else I have to say this "I LOVE MY JOB!" When I decided to pursue my dream July 2008, the course change from my Business Development path included a part-time paying gig as trainer. The other part- time work (non-paying so far) was screenwriting (wrote four so far). Following the conscious decision to look for a trainer job, after eight months of unemployment following ou shop closure, I had a job as a trainer within two weeks. There really is something to be said for following your heart. I am proof of that premise.

The connection of trainer to my dream realization is still percolating. What I can see with my low beams are mile markers that validate I am on the right track. This week I am in Memphis participating in an Achieve Global trainer certification session. Today we covered some fundamentals of Adult Learning Theory (ALT) -- or -- "What do you mean you don't want to be talked at like a kindergartner?"

We all have our preferences for the way we receive information. The three basic styles of learning are visual, auditory, and kinesthetic. To assist a group of adults achieve a common objective, a trainer is mandated witht the task of using tools and techniques to engage the adult learner. I discovered today that I am kinesthetic learner. What does that mean? I dig being involved, high on autonomy, and active. The environment was friendly for all three learning styles. For this guy, I played with clay, pipe cleaners, doodled, and all sorts of other mind engaging activities. The cool part? I was encouraged to do so.

Clay and pipe doodles made during class

Several authors describe the educational system of yesteryear (oops... do they still exist?) wherein the instructional delivery system is based on a knowledge transfer via lecture and written exams. I did horrible in the public education system. I suspect most kinesthetics do. I doodled and got branded as a day dreamer and neerdowell. Sheesh! If I night dream how the heck am I supposed to remember or enjoy the dream?

That is probably why I enjoy author Dan Pink so enthusiastically. He speaks-a-my-language. In his book "Drive" he tackles the issue of what really motivates us. In the language of ALT, we have different learning style preferences. In the language of Motivation 3.0 Pink concludes that we are motivated by something beyond the rewards and punishment systems of the Industrial Age. He writes that autonomy, mastery, and purpose are our primary drivers. The bells are ringing people!

The greatest moment of my day was the discovery that freedom to create while in a traditionally structured environment is liberating. To know how you learn best is key to unlocking your creative self. Imagine the power of unleashing that creative force into your life, relationships, community, and workplace. Pink writes "When the cold front of demographics meets the warm front of unrealized dreams, the results will be a thunderstorm of purpose the likes of which the world has never seen." Unleash the tempest!

No comments:

Post a Comment